Saturday 22 August 2020

 OLD LETTERS COME TO LIGHT

A selection of letters have come to light which were written in the 1860s from Mary Sarah Symonds Roper (nee Hull) to her brother John Hull in New Zealand from which have been extracted the following snippets:

 25 March 1862: "John Symonds’ mind in London is become quite a wreck - he was lost from his family for a week and at last found in Smithfield. He is now under medical treatment and placed with a keeper and it is feared he will never regain his reason".

 25 May 1865: "Uncle John is still alive, he does not speak at all now. He is getting weaker but no prospect of the nearness of death yet"...."Did I tell you of a young Coppock, Mr W Symond's nephew, being near Auckland? He is rather young, gone out as an adventurer, feels the lack of suitable society and has written to me for your address".

 26 June 1865: "Poor Uncle John is gone at last and was buried last Wednesday at Bradpole. A large funeral of course - died very well off, they say given each of his children £8000 and they number eight.......I am talking of going to Weymouth next week for a little change with Aunt Symonds with Mrs Vidler and Mrs Davis [Anne and Jane] and shall take one of the children with me"......."I saw Mrs W Symonds in Weymouth. She hopes young Coppock will meet with you, they have given him your address".

 18 October 1865: "Aunt John has now left and gone to Birmingham with Mrs Udal. I have been very busy lately; they have had a sale of furniture and I was left in charge to clean up and I am glad it is now all over".

18 January 1866: "I have heard from Aunt John today, she appears happy and well in her home at Birmingham. The air suits her [sic!] and her health is certainly better - she had promised me as a legacy poor soul a pair of handsome plated tea canisters, but today they are come thinking I suppose there is nothing like executing her own wishes if possible.  I shall value them much - she had given me before a photograph framed of aunt, uncle and six sons and 3 daughters taken in a group when they met after being married 50 years, it is an interesting picture".

 


No comments: